At Grace, the Altar Guild is a ministry — a ministry of service. The members (women and men) of the Altar Guild serve the Church under the direction of the clergy and are responsible for setting up and caring for the furnishings in the nave, sanctuary, and sacristy, as well as any other area of the church where special worship will take place.
The Altar Guild is responsible for tasks such as
- Preparing the altar
- Laying out the vestments and vessels for worship
- Setting the credence table with the elements (bread and wine) to be administered during communion
- Laundering and ironing altar and worship linens, polishing brass and silver, filling candles and various other tasks.
- Ensuring the altar is dressed in the proper color of the day (frontal hanging, burse, etc.)
- Cleaning up after services and either preparing for another service or “closing down” for the day
The Altar Guild is a ministry of “quiet service.” It’s behind the scenes, but a most critical act of service to the church. The objective is the same for any weekly or special service: to make each service as perfect as possible.
We encourage participation in this important ministry and we welcome men and women to join our “teams” who take pride in preparing all areas of our church for worship. All are welcome. Please contact Waafas Ofosu-Amaah for more information.